Dogs are family now for many pet owners. We have 3 dogs of our own and they are just as much a part of the family as my children, because they are my furry kids. Whenever possible we like to bring them with us. They enjoy going to the beach and the dog park the most. If you also have children and dogs you know already taking the dogs all the time is not always possible. However, with the right vehicle everyone can ride along and enjoy the fun. If you plan to have your furry family members spend lots of time on the road with you, make sure to find the right vehicle.
There are lots of things to consider when finding the right vehicle for the furry kids. Making sure they can easily get in and out of the family car with plenty of space to jump in and out. Is there room for the dogs and the kids? Make sure there is a nice size cargo space in the back for the dog(s). This will ensure room for the kids in seating areas and plenty of room for the dogs in the back out of area they could distract the driver.
Dog Friendly Car Features:
- Ease of getting in and getting out. Which would require a vehicle that is lower to the ground. Additionally a childproof back door or hatch that opens from the back. This will make for putting in and taking out a dog crate. My favorite vehicle with this option is the JEEP Grand Cherokee at Sandoval Buick GMC.
- Childproof windows that open were the dog will be hanging out for proper ventilation. Along with rear A/C vents.
- Lot of space in the back or seats that are washable, and fold down to make for space that will accommodate the furry kids, crates, supplies and other storage. This will keep the dogs off the seat and in thier own area so they can ride safely.
- If you can find rear cargo attachments or a pet barrier to keep the dog harnessed as well as the crate that’s a plus. This will keep the crate from sliding around, and the dog from jumping around the inside of the vehicle.
- The less carpet the easier it will be to keep things clean. You can also purchase a separate cargo liner that can be removed and easily cleaned.
Lastly keep in mind how many occupants and furry kids will be in the vehicle when making your decision. Vehicles designed to be dog-friendly are perfect for dog lovers.
Always make sure pets are properly restrain in a moving vehicle.