Many don’t know it is possible to get a free infant car seat. Actually there are many programs that offer free baby stuff for low income families such as a infant car seat, free formula, free diapers, baby samples, food and more. However they are not just handing out the information to anyone who needs it. That’s where I come into play. I enjoy finding this information to help those in need. With that being said, I hope this information finds you in your time of need.
Car seats can be very expensive especially when you don’t have a lot of money coming in. Every little bit helps and with so many families struggling today to provide basic needs these resources are essential. One thing to remember is you should never buy a used car seat because you want to be sure that it meets all car seat safety requirements.
There are several places that offer free car seats to parents who are in desperate need. The number one place to call to find some of these resources is 2-1-1. This is a telephone number to call that connects you with important community services and programs. Also be sure to check out these Five Car Seat Safety Tips before getting your new car seat.
FREE Car Seat:
This is one of the most important things you will need before your baby is born as hospitals won’t let you leave if you don’t have one. Here are some ways you can possibly get a free car seat if you are low income and cannot afford one. These programs may or may not ask for proof of pregnancy, proof of income, ID and more.
- Safe Kids Coalition – If you need a car seat first you can try and contact your local Safe Kids Coalition. Then you can connect with an agency in your area who gives out car seats to low income families here: http://www.safekids.org/find-your-safe-kids
- Seat Check – It’s also important to get the installation of your car seat checked. You can do so by contacting the Child Passenger Safety Technician. To find a certified technician click here: seatcheck.org
- 2-1-1 – Call your local United Way by dialing 211 on your telephone. Let them know you need a car seat for your baby and are unable to provide one.
- WIC – This is a great place to check for a free car seat. Go to your local WIC (Women, Infants and Children) office if you’re already enrolled with them, and ask if they have a free car seat program or help with car seats. If your local WIC office doesn’t offer free car seats, ask them if they can refer you another place that may offer them.
- Health Department – Call your local Health Department. Many have a car seat safety class that you can attend and get a free car seat from. They also help you to make sure it’s installed correctly.
- Food Stamps – If you get Food Stamps ask your worker if they know any programs available for car seats.
- State Police & Fire Departments – Stop by your local police and fire departments and ask them if they offer free car seats.
- Hospital – If you have the baby before you get a car seat ask the hospital if they offer them.
- Insurance Policies – Mostly all health insurance companies, Medicaid included, offer car seats for free to insured pregnant or new mothers. The easiest way to find out if your insurance policies cover car seats is to check out a summary of your policy or call a customer service agent from a number on your insurance card.
- Church – Call your local churches and ask if they have any or know of any programs.
- Still having trouble getting a car seat? Do an internet search for Car Seat Check Station. Once you find one they usually ask for your zip code so that you can find a local one. Once you find one give them a call to find out if they offer free car seats.
Please remember not to accept a free car seat unless you genuinely need one and cannot otherwise afford it on your own.
You may also like:
- Free Diapers For Low-Income Families
- Free Baby Stuff For Low Income Families
- Christmas Help For Needy Families