With activities after school such as sports practice, clubs, band practice, and daylight hours dwindle, it’s so much more important now more than ever to focus on safety of our family. This season Master Lock Lock is helping families fall into safety with five top tips that will help families enjoy the season.
Follow these top five tips from Master Lock to stay safe this fall:
1. Be aware of surroundings. Remind children to follow safety precautions on their way to and from home. Whether walking all the way home or just to a parked car, students are advised to be aware of their surroundings, stick with a friend or in a group, stay in well-lit areas, avoid short cuts and always observe traffic rules.
2. Establish a “home alone” routine. Sometimes situations arise where children and teens will be home without supervision, whether coming home after school to an empty house or due to busy weekend activities. It’s natural for parents to feel uneasy at first, but with some planning, both parents and children can feel confident when the time comes. Set guidelines with your children to follow when home alone including, locking the door immediately after entering the house, calling to check in as soon as he or she gets home, not answering the door for any visitors and reviewing relevant emergency phone numbers and exit plans. Instead of hiding an extra set of house keys beneath a door mat or under a nearby rock, the Master Lock 5422D Portable Key Safe is the perfect solution for securely storing house keys outside so that children (or parents) are never left locked out.
3. Set ground rules for social media sharing. Teens are sharing more information about themselves on social media sites than ever before*. As parents, it’s necessary to evaluate the information your child is sharing and advise them on security risks of sharing too much identifying information. Set ground rules for what your child can disclose online, and teach your child how to set privacy controls so that photos, location and personal information do not end up in the wrong hands.
4. Lock down valuables on the field. Lockers help keep gadgets, wallets, house or car keys and other belongings secure while in class, but what keeps them secure outside of school? Keep valuables locked up with a small, portable safe, such as the 5900D SafeSpace, which kids can easily fit in their backpacks, gym bags or lock down to a fixed object while attending after school activities.
5. Inspect to protect. While talking with your children about safety guidelines, fall is also an ideal time to create or practice a fire safety plan. Start with inspecting your home thoroughly ensuring all smoke detectors are functioning properly and review the sound of the alarm with children so they know what do to when it goes off. Make an evacuation plan by visiting each room in your home, designating two ways out and check that all windows and doors open easily. Lastly, designate a safe meeting place outside the home where your family can gather after exiting. This meeting place should be close to the home, but not too close to be in danger from the fire, and in front of the house so that fire safety personnel can easily see you as they arrive. It should also be somewhere easy to find in day or night, such as near a telephone pole, tree or mailbox. Most importantly, practice the escape plan. While 71 percent of Americans have a plan, only 47 percent of those have practiced it**. (source)
This brings me to the 5423D Mounted Key Box, which is similar to the 422D Portable Key Safe. This model will actually mount to the wall if you don’t want to have one that hangs from the doorknob. It also provides the same key features and safetly secure storage of your keys or access cards. With push button locking in familiar alpha and numeric telephone keypad format. Easily set your own password.
This Master Lock Mounted Key Box is not going to break or fall apart. The construction is an extremely solid,very durable metal and is 3-1/8″ wide and 4-58″ in height. Plus it’s made with a protective weather cover which will prevent freezing and jamming of the unit.
I like this idea rather than placing a key under the mat. Manly because I worry someone will find it. And with the 5423D Mounted Key Box I don’t have to worry about anyone finding my keys, other than who I give the code to.
I highly recommend the 5423D Mounted Key Box to all families. Shop today at www.masterlock.com
Disclosure I received products in exchange for an honest review. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I personally believe will be good for my readers.