Have you heard of the Pajama Program? The Pajama Program is an organization that offers warm pajamas and books to children in need and many are without parents and/or permanent homes. The program helps children from ages newborn to 18 that live in group homes, shelters and temporary housing. Since 2001, Pajama Program has provided over 3 million new pajamas and books to children through 60 chapters across the country. The pajamas have been provided during the colder weather that they call the Danger Season. Danger Season for the program started on October 1st which is when temperatures outside start to drop and get much colder. With overwhelming amount of statistics that show how many children are without warm pajamas during these cold winter months, Pajama Program has established a campaign, One Million Good Nights, to raise awareness and one million pajamas for children in need by the end of 2015.
Did you know?
- 1 in 5 American children live in poverty ? That rate is higher than any other developed country except for Romania.
- As of 2013 there were more than 16 million children in the USA which is 22% of all children that live in families that have an income level below federal poverty (Source: National Center for Children in Poverty)
- All but 6 states have seen the increase in homeless children in the past year, with 10 states now showing a 20% or greater increase. (Nat’l Center for Homeless Education)
- Did you know there are more than 3.5 million people that are homeless every night, and 1.35 million of those people are children? (Source: Open Door Mission)
- Sadly the average age of a homeless person in the United States is 9 years old. (Open Door Mission)
If your are in need of pajamas:
If you you have children ages newborn to 18 who live in group homes, shelters and temporary housing click here to find a Pajama Program near you.
Talk Show host Meredith Vieira, The Chew’s Carla Hall, and novelist Jay McInerney participated in a private fundraiser on October 2 that raised over $30,000 for the Pajama Program.
Carter’s, Inc. is Pajama Program’s lead sponsor and signature partner in the One Million Good Nights campaign. Scholastic is the leading book partner.
October 2014 marked Pajama Program’s second year of its nationwide One Million Good Nights initiative to collect one million new pajamas, one million new books, and the necessary resources to get them in the hands of children and adolescents in need here in the U.S
October 1st marked the start of “Danger Season” when temperatures begin to drop and countless children are in need of warm sleepwear and comfort. To date, One Million Good Nights has already hit its halfway mark with 500,180 pajamas and 590,428 books collected so far. The campaign will continue through December 31, 2015.
For more information about One Million Good Nights, please visit: www.pajamaprogram.org.
Pajama Program Raises Over $30,000 for Children in Need
October 7, 2014 by · Leave a Comment